The Sunnyside Guild is named after the former Sunnyside Sanatorium, opened in 1917 for the care of tuberculosis patients. The Guild was formed by a small group of women devoted to bringing recreation to patients confined by the disease. They supported these programs until the sanatorium closed in 1966, when its pulmonary function laboratory was moved to Wishard Memorial Hospital. The Guild's town hall speaker series was launched in 1960 to benefit pulmonary programs and fellowships at Wishard. Since 1966, Sunnyside Guild's Town Hall Series has generated more than $1.2 million for Wishard.