Volunteer Services is dedicated to enhancing the patient experience, augmenting the services of staff and promoting community involvement by providing compassionate and competent volunteers. Wishard currently has over 155 current volunteers, with some volunteers committing over 13,000 lifetime service hours. Volunteers come from all walks of life and areas of Indianapolis and outlying communities, such as Avon, Brownsburg, Carmel, Fishers, Greenwood and Westfield (to name a few).
Wishard volunteers are recognized as important members of our health care team and play a vital role in fulfilling the hospital's mission to advocate, care, teach and serve all citizens of the Indianapolis area, with a special emphasis on the vulnerable populations.
Volunteer opportunities exist throughout various areas of the hospital and Wishard Health System for those ages 18 and over. These opportunities were designed with the patient in mind as we hope to provide each patient and visitor with a positive experience while at our facilities. For volunteers ages 14-19, we have a summer VolunTEEN program designed to engage our youth in the workings of health care and teach the value of service. Please contact Volunteer Service in January 2013 for the 2013 summer VolunTEEN application.
Current Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- Admitting patient and guest representative
- Opportunities available: Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. (noon). Greet patients entering the admitting office. Validate patient on admitting schedule, date/time stamp registration form and provide information and directions to patients.
- Care rounding ambassadors
- Opportunities available: Monday – Sunday, 6 a.m. to 12 a.m. (midnight). Volunteers will assess patient needs through hourly rounding on inpatient care floors. Support staff members by filing, making reminder calls, restocking supplies and other clerical needs. Complete all necessary paperwork and evaluations following each interaction.
- Data entry volunteer, Family Beginnings
- Opportunities available: various - Enter birth certificate information into Indiana State Department of Health (ISDOH) computer program from work sheets completed by nursing staff.
- Employment center assistant
- Opportunities available: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. Assist with coverage of Employment Center front desk, completion of reference/ background checks, filing and scheduling interviews.
- ICU patient and guest representative
- Opportunities available: Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Greet guests entering the ICU main entrance. Provide information and directions to patients and guests.
- No One Dies Alone (NODA) (Palliative Care)
- Opportunities available: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The program uses volunteer companions who are notified when patients are alone and expected to die in the next 24 hours. The companions come to the hospital and stay with the patients, rotating through three-hour shifts, to ensure they are not left alone in their final moments. During the vigil, the volunteer companions talk to the patients, hold their hand or just serve as a compassionate presence in the room.
- Specialty clinic representatives (Clerical Support)
- Opportunities Available: Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. Support clinic services by greeting patients as they enter the clinic, filing, making reminder calls, assembling packets and other educational materials, restocking supplies and other clerical needs.
- Be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Agree to volunteer for a three-hour shift per week for at least three months.
- Interview with the Volunteer Services Manager.
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Provide proof of immunization for measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) and immunization or immunity for chickenpox (varicella).
- Receive an annual tuberculosis (TB) screening.
- Receive an annual flu vaccination.
- Complete the online application and orientation process.
- Complete any additional training your placement may require.
For more information on volunteer opportunities, please call Volunteer Services at 317.630.7552
or email Scott Lawson
, volunteer services manager.